Practicing Prose

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

The Beginning

JustTheNarrator
    JustTheNarrator
    Sycthe
    Sycthe

The Beginning Empty The Beginning

Post  JustTheNarrator Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:57 pm

So, first we'll need a topic, right?
    crazycreator
    crazycreator
    Co-Admin
    Co-Admin

The Beginning Empty Irish Legends?

Post  crazycreator Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:15 pm

So, I'm about get dorky here. I don't want to take you by surprise. I've done a bit of research on Irish mythology before. I've heard of the Seelie and Unseelie Courts. They're like good vs. evil, filled with all kinds of crazy awesome creatures classified as fey (alternatively fae). It has a whole diverse history, but we could write about some of the mythical beings that exist there?

Sidhe, imps, Kelpies, Nixies, Trow, Selkie, yadda yadda (http://www.mythicalcreaturesguide.com/page/Fae)

And of course, we can always improvise as we go...
    JustTheNarrator
    JustTheNarrator
    Sycthe
    Sycthe

The Beginning Empty Re: The Beginning

Post  JustTheNarrator Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:18 pm

Great! So, there's a couple ways we could start this up. We could do either the style you and your cousin did before with co-writing, or we could do roleplaying style, which is basically we each control a couple characters. Or if you know any other styles we could do that. And I'll read up quick on the Fey courts, etc.
    crazycreator
    crazycreator
    Co-Admin
    Co-Admin

Post  crazycreator Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:46 pm

Well, I've never done role-playing style, but I'm always up for learning new things. Whichever you prefer. The co-writing is pretty self-explanatory, but if we do rp, you'll have to give me a few pointers. Don't worry, I'm a fast learner!

(Also, I like the lighter theme a lot better.)
    JustTheNarrator
    JustTheNarrator
    Sycthe
    Sycthe

Post  JustTheNarrator Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:01 pm

Great about the theme, I'll be fixing the thing up top soon. And roleplaying may be interesting to try out. If it seems like it'll be too confusing, we can always just to to co-writing. These are the basics of it. Each writer controls (usually 1-3) characters in a single storyline, writing from their point of view, usually in third person past tense. It'll probably be easier for us to have one or two characters each, since it can get confusing sometimes if you're talking to yourself a lot. Another common thing to begin it is character sheets with the name, age, and a small amount of background info on a character. I'll throw one in so you can see what it looks like, but since there's only us, it's not totally necesary. And I think that's the basic principles for it.

Character Bio
    Name:
    Nicknames:
    Seelie/Unseelie:
    Race:
    Appearance:
    Personality:
    Background:
    Other:
    crazycreator
    crazycreator
    Co-Admin
    Co-Admin

Post  crazycreator Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:09 pm

Alright; makes sense. Now we just need a basis, yes? A plot or story line...hm...
    JustTheNarrator
    JustTheNarrator
    Sycthe
    Sycthe

Post  JustTheNarrator Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:18 pm

Hmm. Well, we'll be starting with the unseelie, and probably want to have different types of characters, so... What will it be?
    A powerful Seelie comes into rule of the Fay Kingdom and demands the execution of all Unseelies?
    An underground rebel movement attempts to take out some sort of foe, human or fay of either kind?
    Some other idea that's better than those two unoriginal ones?
    JustTheNarrator
    JustTheNarrator
    Sycthe
    Sycthe

Post  JustTheNarrator Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:34 pm

Either way, I think I've decided on my first character's race. I looked through the site for a while, and found one not strictly Fay, but seemed close enough.
    http://www.mythicalcreaturesguide.com/page/Blurrs

These are some other ones that may be useful, and the first one is Irish.
    http://www.mythicalcreaturesguide.com/page/Ankou
    http://www.mythicalcreaturesguide.com/page/Dhamphyr
    http://www.mythicalcreaturesguide.com/page/Hugtandalfers
    crazycreator
    crazycreator
    Co-Admin
    Co-Admin

Post  crazycreator Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:55 pm

I brushed up on role-playing! (looked at a few sites) It looks super fun! I take it there are usually more people involved though? So after creating the character sheet, a world, and basic motives, we can go nuts!

I think I'd like my character to be a Sidhe, one that was exiled from the Seelie Court and now resides with the Unseelie. Should we set up the character sheets?
    JustTheNarrator
    JustTheNarrator
    Sycthe
    Sycthe

Post  JustTheNarrator Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:03 pm

Sure! And yeah, normally there are a few more. If there's anyone that you think would be interested feel free to ask! And Character Sheets may be easier to start with, and we can try to think of the world until then. I'll probably just use the character sheet I had above, anything you think we should add to it?
    crazycreator
    crazycreator
    Co-Admin
    Co-Admin

Post  crazycreator Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:08 pm

Perhaps we could add a talent? Like, some of the beings could...control an element? If it corresponds to their race of course.

The same to you about inviting people: the more the merrier!

We could add a history too: background to the lands, rulings, other goings-on of the Fae. It'll probably be set in Erie right? (Ireland)
    JustTheNarrator
    JustTheNarrator
    Sycthe
    Sycthe

Post  JustTheNarrator Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:21 pm

Both ideas sound good, and the history shouldn't be hard to set up after we set up the basis for the storyline.
    JustTheNarrator
    JustTheNarrator
    Sycthe
    Sycthe

Post  JustTheNarrator Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:26 pm

Oh, and we should probably set some sort of age range, since this doesn't deal with humans.
    crazycreator
    crazycreator
    Co-Admin
    Co-Admin

Post  crazycreator Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:05 pm

Definitely. I'd help, but I think you're the only one who can rearrange the site.
    JustTheNarrator
    JustTheNarrator
    Sycthe
    Sycthe

The Beginning Empty Seth Pentine Character Bio

Post  JustTheNarrator Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:15 pm

Character Bio
    Name: Seth Pentine
    Sex: Male
    Seelie/Unseelie: Unseelie
    Race: Blurr
    Skill: Illusion (Blurrs mess with the senses)
    Appearance: The first thing you'll notice is the eyes. Two luminescent green orbs floating almost six feet off the ground, just enough to grip your curiosity and pull you slightly closer. If your hearing is acute enough, you may notice a slight buzzing noise, but it won't bother you. The lights are... warm. Even when you see dark, humanoid body attached to the eyes, shimming like a mirage, it won't turn you away. At that point, the last remaining pieces of your mind should recall the legends you've heard, of the shadows of the woods. Of what they do. Finally, you'll hear the telltale raven's call, and that's the last thing you'll ever sense. ((Not entirely a traditional appearance, but dark, humanoid, and glowing green eyes seemed kind of dull. Plus, I wanted to add a hint of evil to what the website had about Blurrs. Oh, and the double parentheses are used most often to talk OOC, or out of character.))
    Personality: Humans aren't worth his time, and their only function is fodder for his entity. Although a good hunt is occasionally enticing, it's usually just easier for him to toy with their feeble minds and pull them within range. However, fay are much more interesting. He may ally himself with others, though rarely of his kind, since hunting teams with creatures that desire the meat of the physical bodies of the humans wouldn't be interfering with his own food. His kind are also few and far between, so he had only seen a three or four in his remembered existence. Dark, somber, and preferring to let his actions speak louder than his words, Seth is really only ever concerned about himself, although being a master of deception does come with his element.
    Background: Seth doesn't remember how he came into being, just that he was once a mostly physical being, even though nearly all of his original body is withered to dust held together only by the strength of his mind. From the beginning of his memories he had an incessant need to feed, originally taking only the bodies of his victims, but later learning to love the taste of the mind and most of all, the senses. As he more and more often declined to consume the physical forms of what he killed, he became what he is now. He often works as an mercenary for other Fae, both Unseelie and Seelies with a hidden dark side. This business is more just to get chances to eat other Fae more than the pay, though. He lurks in the shadows, preferring seeing to being seen.
    Other: Has a pet raven named Blaire. It's trained in basic communication and works well as a spy or scout. When he's on his own, he also often enjoys using his ghast knife on his victims to pull gruesome pranks on nearby villages.

((Oh, and by age range I meant for the characters. But I guess it's kind of irrelevant in this case. And if anyone we don't know comes on, I could just block them if we want, so don't worry about that.))
    crazycreator
    crazycreator
    Co-Admin
    Co-Admin

Post  crazycreator Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:30 pm

That was a great character sheet...I admire your writing skill! I'm not sure if I can match it, but stay tuned to see.

And I gathered you meant the characters...they live for a long time, so it's probably in the hundreds a lot. Although, if I was that old, I wouldn't really keep track of my age. I'd keep track of the important, world-changing events that happened during my existence: wars, royal assassinations, rather than the specific dates.
    JustTheNarrator
    JustTheNarrator
    Sycthe
    Sycthe

Post  JustTheNarrator Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:06 pm

Sounds good. And thanks! I'm sure you'll be able to match it. Plus, it takes a while getting used to character sheets for most people, and I've done plenty of them.
    crazycreator
    crazycreator
    Co-Admin
    Co-Admin

Post  crazycreator Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:13 pm

Name: Calantha Stovsen
    Sex: Female
    Seelie/Unseelie: Unseelie
    Race: Sidhe
    Skill: Glamours (magic that disguises appearance)
    Appearance: When she’s not disguising it, this Sidhe’s exotic appearance appalls the eye. Crimson, gold, and orange, her eyes resemble a bloody sunset, tri-colored like her noble forbears. But if only she had their sense of goodly obligation, for she long ago turned from the path of benevolence she was expected to tread at the Seelie Court, and now wanders in wickedness with the fierce, dark Unseelie. A ruthless smile at all times curls her lips, and her moon-kissed skin shines with treachery. ((I hope it fits!...)
    Personality: Calantha continuously seeks entertainment. She is drawn to talent and beauty like a moth to a flame and often abducts mortals who are unusually skilled in their arts. When she grows tired of her pets, they mysteriously vanish. Most are never seen again, but some are fabled to have been seen walking the earth, forever elf-struck, doomed to spend the rest of their lives hopelessly longing for the taste of fay flesh and food. Calantha keeps her secrets close to her cold heart and loves to sign her name to dark deeds.
    Background: Calantha’s past is a mystery. Rumor has it that she one day materialized on the shadowy steps of the Unseelie Court, holding the severed head of a Seelie aristocrat and drenched in blood. Of course she was eagerly welcomed. No one knows the specifics of her shadowed past, but a clue to it mars her face: a vicious obsidian scar that runs up her neck and into her corn-silk hair.
    Other: Fay and other beings can become more easily agitated around her (low-level emotion control).
    JustTheNarrator
    JustTheNarrator
    Sycthe
    Sycthe

Post  JustTheNarrator Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:35 pm

Really really good! Now, to come up with the storyline/history. Any ideas? I was thinking maybe something along the lines of the first one I listed before (new Seelie king orders the execution of all Unseelies) and the fay world is a reflection of the mortal world, and the new king came into power because a new, good monarch began to rule in Ireland. I'm totally open to other ideas though, since that one has the potential to get old quickly.
    crazycreator
    crazycreator
    Co-Admin
    Co-Admin

Post  crazycreator Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:46 pm

Well...I have ideas for the brief history behind it all, if you want to see it (you can always yay or nay it or suggest revisions of course). Just say if you want to see it!

I like the mirror thing, but maybe it should be the other way around? The mortal world mirrors theirs? I like that a new King comes into power. Perhaps we can say its King Oberon with Queen Tatiana (in lore they were elected a long time ago, but we can set our story in the beginning of times). Perhaps the Seelie, terrified of the impurity of mixed blood at the Unseelie, ordered all of them executed on the grounds they were dark, unholy beings?
    JustTheNarrator
    JustTheNarrator
    Sycthe
    Sycthe

Post  JustTheNarrator Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:50 pm

Definitely a yay! And that sounds like a good idea switching it around. So how are we going to have our characters meet?
    crazycreator
    crazycreator
    Co-Admin
    Co-Admin

Post  crazycreator Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:01 pm

History of the Fay:

It was long ago that the Norse Gods descended from heaven ((uh-oh, I have to go! I'm not feeling so-hot--won't go into details, it's not pretty--so sorry to be going! I'll post the history later if you still want to see it. This is getting really exciting by the way[:
    JustTheNarrator
    JustTheNarrator
    Sycthe
    Sycthe

Post  JustTheNarrator Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:03 pm

Yeah, I can't wait to start writing! And no rush on the history. Hope you feel better (and rest up for the play tomorrow)!
    JustTheNarrator
    JustTheNarrator
    Sycthe
    Sycthe

Post  JustTheNarrator Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:39 pm

So, I'm not sure about what's we'll have going on in the background at the moment in the story, but I thought of a way for our characters to meet. There could be an attack on an Unseelie refugee camp that both of our characters are dwelling in (most likely a large one so they don't know each other before that attack) and my character attacks yours, assuming you're one of the Seelie attacking the camp. Any other ideas? Haha I figured I'd better get on this so it doesn't die out. Oh, and Happy Valentines Day! Smile
    crazycreator
    crazycreator
    Co-Admin
    Co-Admin

Post  crazycreator Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:32 pm

I love that idea! We should definitely do it. I've always been enamored with war camps...

We could also do it as a one-on-one attack. Your character must get...hungry...once in a while, right? Razz (but i'm putting my vote in for your idea)

Anyway, Happy Valentine's Day to you too (a day late).

I'll try to get my cousin (Sarah) on here asap, so she can join in the fun.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 6:16 pm